THE 5 REASONS WHY YOUR MARKETING GOALS ARE FAILING YOU
It’s Monday morning and you are ready for the monthly sales and marketing meeting. All the company leads will be there wanting to know how successful your marketing initiatives have been, and you’re beginning to feel the heat! Maybe you haven’t reached your goals, or maybe you have successfully achieved your goals, but you are not seeing positive growth as a result. Does this sound familiar (or at least similar)?
There is a world of information as to why you may be failing to reach your goals, but today we want to talk about why your goals may be failing you. Even when we continuously meet or exceed our marketing goals, it may not result in the increased business we seek. When this is the case, it’s time to re-evaluate, but where should you begin? No worries, we have you covered!
Below are 5 reasons your marketing goals may be failing you. Review each one and make the necessary adjustments based on your findings. Before we begin, take a moment to pat yourself on the back! Don’t stress over not getting the results you were hoping for. You should be proud of yourself for not only having a marketing plan, but setting goals and evaluating your results. These things alone put you significantly ahead of many marketing managers. However it takes even more to be successful in business today, and based on the fact that you are reading this post, well that tells us that you are already aware and on your way to achieving greatness!
- Make sure your marketing goals are S.M.A.R.T! If you are not sure, take a look at our “Getting SMART with your Marketing Goals” blog to see if your goals are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, & Timely. If not, make the adjustments required to get SMART.
- Evaluate how aggressive your goals are. If they’re too aggressive, you may be failing to meet them, which can negatively impact your efforts. Hearing the word failure can bring on frustration and reduce drive. Nobody wants to give something their all if they feel like it’s impossible to succeed!
Or maybe your goals are too simple. Goals that are easily achieved won’t have the impact on business that you are looking for. We have all heard it before, nothing worth having in life comes easy, right? It’s the same with marketing, you must be willing to put in the effort in order to achieve the results.
- Have you properly aligned and identified your goals based on your marketing plan? Are you targeting the right buyer persona? Are you addressing the applicable stage of the buyers journey in order to achieve your goals? Have you mapped out your marketing plan and associated goals based on the Inbound Methodology? Increasing your site traffic to 50,000 visitors won’t do you any good if they are all recent college graduates and your primary buyer is age 45-55. In addition, attracting 1,000 of the right buyers to an infographic full of stats, when they are ready to buy if the price is right, will just frustrate the visitor who can’t find what they are looking for.
- Are your marketing goals truly supporting your business plan? Learn more about proper sales and marketing planning in our “Are You Hitting Your Marketing Goals?” blog. If these two things are not in sync, than business growth is nearly impossible and all of your Marketing efforts are a waste of resources.
- Have you documented all of the potential challenges that may prevent you from achieving your goals? Anticipating the challenges gives you the power to plan and adjust accordingly. Sit down and think about this one. You may be surprised how many potential challenges and solutions you can come up with before they can delay your success.
- Ok, so you got me, I know I said 5 . . .but #6 is for all of you that are still waiting to start writing those marketing goals! You are reading all of these blogs to make sure your goals are a success before you even write them! We get it, we don’t like to fail either . . . but don't delay any further! Download the Marketing Goal template developed by our friends at HubSpot and get started now. We promise, it’s easy and SO worth it!